Pages

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Music to Spin By

I haven't featured any of my equipment for spinning and weaving for quite a while now. Today I have an unexpected one . . . my sound system:I was sitting spinning this morning, thinking about what I'd like to write about in this post and there it was!

I nearly always have music in the background while I'm working at my wheel or at my loom. Usually it's just what I want. Sometimes the rhythm of the music and the rhythm of my spinning don't match. That gets really interesting: frustrating or amusing according to my mood. A couple of days ago I was plying some wool. My feet where working a steady 1, 2, 3; 1, 2, 3 rhythm. Then a march came on the radio. The band was pumping out a forceful 1, 2, 3, 4! It took me a few moments to work out why I was getting all out of synch with my spinning. Even then I didn't turn off the radio. I just counted out loud until the march was over and tolerated the occasional glitch.

I must get back to the damask weaving today. That's one exercise for which I really have to turn off the music. It requires too much concentration. I'm just past the half way mark and class is on Saturday. That means the house will be fairly quiet for the next couple of days.

No comments: