Pages

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Order of Magnitude

I've been talking about my fine silk yarn. So, just how fine is fine? The technical definition has to do with the number of times a strand of the particular yarn can be wound around a one inch measure. But I don't have time to do that this morning. I need to be out the door in under an hour, and the place is a mess. I glanced around the living room this morning to find something to give an idea of scale. Ah ha--a pin! Unfortunately this is one of my quilting pins so it's a bit bigger than the average pin, but hopefully you get the idea. Anyway, that will have to do for now.

Today we're spinning silk noils and silk waste--translation: lumpy, bumpy, interesting stuff! I have to admit, I'm a bit over fine white yarn for now.

2 comments:

Dee said...

WOW WOW WOW !!!!! that is very fine! the quilting pin is thicker than the plied silk! wow! now my fingers are itching even more (if thats is possible) to touch some of it and to see how it stitches up - sigh.

Knitspingirl said...

I can only think of one word to describe that yarn - Wow!