Pages

Friday, November 6, 2009

Double Weave Samples

The threading is finished and the sampling has begun for my double weave bag project:
Apologies for the orientation of the photo--that's the front of the loom at the top of the pic. There is something wierd about the technology of blogger that doesn't let me rotate the photo the way I'd like to. Maybe it's something wierd about me! In any case, that's the way it's going to stay.

I've woven a tube. That will be the body of the bag in the finished project. I found I'd made an error in working out the threading, since the underside of the lower layer weaves up as a mirror image of what I'd expected. I've got plenty of warp left, so I should probably re-thread it and try again.

I've also woven a sample of the two layers which will form the lining and flap of the bag. The challenge there is that the layers don't weave at the same rate. The top layer is a twill, while the bottom layer is a tabby or plain weave. The twill weave is just a bit more compact, so I need to put some extra picks into the top layer every now and again.
Overall, though, it's working and I'm looking forward to the next step.

1 comment:

Dee said...

hey this looks neat.
at first i though you must have a new loom... then i turned my 'puta upside down... is the cute litte thing holding the thread at the top of the pic new? it looks really sweet. what is it?
it looks like you will also have a neat little blue bag as well as the final one.
happy weavings.