Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Guard Dog

I've been spending a lot of time at my spinning wheel lately. On days like today I'm trying to get a couple of hours in before it gets too warm to handle the fleece. This morning I was determined to finish my fine merino sample. It's done! I've just put it to soak in a bucket of warm water.

While I was spinning, I was watching my dog, Macc, on his cushion near the window. He's reliably located within a couple of metres of where I am. When I'm spinning, that's easy: he can lie in his favourite spot. When I'm in working in the sewing room, he'll take up a position in the light court outside or in the hallway--sometimes in the sewing room itself. He's less consipicuous then, except that as soon as I move away I can hear the sound of his paws clicking on the bamboo floor as he corrects his position . . . then he'll settle again within the 2 metre radius of where I am.

This morning I was sure he was asleep --except for one tell-tale ear half raised in anticipation of any movement. I could see him snuffling and twitching in his doggy "dreams", with his nose tucked under one paw. He looked so cute that I stopped spinning and reached for my camera. It was on the table beside me. All I had to do was switch it on, but that little whirring noise was enough. By the time I turned back to him, I got this look: Not asleep really! Now he's just come in to check on me at the computer.

My other dog is quite different. She takes her responsibilities equally seriously, but they are more based around woofing at anyone who enters her line of sight, not so much on where I am and what I'm doing. Now that I'm about to sign off this blog entry and go check on my yarn in the kitchen, I'm anticipating Macc's next move. How many seconds before he's right beside me again?

4 comments:

Knitspingirl said...

There's nothing quite like the unconditional love from a faithful companion.

Chiara Z said...

I love it!

Unknown said...

Such a cute boy. I was fortunate to have a similar size & breed of dog sitting on my lap a few weeks ago. Such a cuddly bundle of joy! The love they give is amazing as you well know.

Chiara Z said...

He loves his cuddles and knows the word! He has to have the invitation, "cuddle" before he's allowed to hop on my armchairMind you so does my Mocca, but she sometimes replies with a "no thanks". :)