Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Feeling Foolish

Yesterday I complained that my Powershot camera was suffering from a disturbance and making whirring noises--great technical terms those. I got myself out of trouble with another camera and immediately went into problem-solving mode. Strange phenomenon: I can live with all sorts of undone tasks, but a problem with my camera prompts instant action! I rang Canon's support line and spoke to a technician. I figured I'd make sure there wasn't some obvious error on my part before going down the warranty-repair path. I described what the camera was and wasn't doing. The technician sounded serious, and said I should send it in for repair. By that time there wasn't much left of my morning. I had to get to my regular Monday afternoon appointment by public transport and there was no way I was going to get to the camera store as well. That turned out to be a good thing. I'm guessing that my subconscious was worrying away at the problem while I was otherwise occupied, because when I got home, I suddenly thought of this:
Yep, batteries! Usually when my camera runs out of juice it gives a simple command on the screen, "please change the batteries". Admittedly there was no such signal and the camera apparently did have power because there were lights and movement. I wasn't long since I'd changed the batteries either, but I usually use rechargables and these were everday disposable batteries. It couldn't hurt to try. So out with the old batteries and in with a fresh pair. Now the camera works fine! That's a good thing and I'm glad I got to feel foolish in the privacy of my own home.

No comments: