Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pointy Sticks

For the past few years I've been edging myself towards the possibility of knitting socks. My main obstacle was the fact that I normally knit with one needle tucked under my arm. If you think about the geometry, you will soon find that there's no way to make a circle of knitting with an armpit in the middle. Believe me!

This year I've done several small projects on circular needles. That's been ok. So, now for the challenge of double pointed needles. Four of them:
Please note: this is not a sock. If all goes well, it will be a little wrist warmer. I like to break my challenges down into small, small steps. For the first few rows I was constantly dodging and rearranging needles. Now I've got a bit more of a rhythm going, but it's still rather awkward. It seems as though there's more bulk of needles than actual knitting in my hands. Come to think of it, I guess there is. So, I'm persisting. I'm given to understand--isn't that a great cop out phrase!--that if I just keep knitting along, I'll eventually stop worrying about the four pointy sticks I'm holding and get back to enjoying the knitting. OK, knitting, knitting, knitting . . .

4 comments:

Knitspingirl said...

Yay you! (love the colours) Now all we have to do is get you over the fear of socks (I love turning heels - it makes me feel clever ... )

Chiara Z said...

Thanks:) So good to "hear" you again! Once I get the hang of going round and round, I'll have a go at corners--just one step at a time.

Dee said...

at this stage it looks like some kind of wooly weapon - ninja star thingy!

Vireya said...

Ooo! I know what it turned in to. Thank you for the lovely birthday present!

Beautifully knitted; having no seam makes them very comfortable.