Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Postscript

Last year's Feather and Fan Scarf story ended with the completion of the knitting and grafting two halves of the scarf together. But I had a little bit of the yarn left over. Since it was such a special yarn--Finn Cashmere, drop spindle spun and dip dyed with love--I didn't want it to just disappear into the odds and ends box. On the other hand, there really wasn't enough there to make anything much. I decided to just play with it and see what came up.

I've been thinking a fair bit about the boundary between jewellery and textile accessories lately. I'm about to teach a couple of sessions of jewellery making. Add to that the light and airy Northern Hemisphere patterns coming out for their summer season and I have lots of food for thought. I decided to crochet a little neck band with the yarn I had and then see what inspiration comes to embellish and add to it.

This is where I'm up to so far:
  • a few rows of crochet, long enough to drape around the neck;
  • a tab with a button hole--on the right;
  • a reinforced strip to hold a button or bead-- on the left.
  • loose ends which haven't been woven in, dangling in case they're needed to attach something or other.

Now I have no more of that yarn. I'm going to improvise with other materials until I come up with something I like. But first, I'd better do a little more of the spinning for my folio and take my morning walk before it starts raining again.

1 comment:

Dee said...

ooooh that is CUTE! i can see it with a pretty feature button, perhaps a bead or two and some sweet embroidery. cross-over between textiles and jewellery... my mind is running with possibilities.