Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Bargain?

I did a quick trip to my craft superstore the other day to top up my supplies before the quilt working bee for flood relief. I wanted to make sure I had plenty of neutral coloured sewing thread. Denim needles were also on the list. Right on the bottom shelf, I saw these boxes. The label says, "denim footwork kit". When I had a closer look I found that each box contains a walking foot and a seam support attachment. A couple of denim needles and a few plastic bobbins round out the set. The sale sticker said $15. I would normally expect to pay about three times that much for just a walking foot, but I had no way of knowing if this one would fit my machine, or more importantly, my students' machines. I took a box to the counter along with my other items to see if I could negotiate the option of returning it if I couldn't make it work. Imagine my surprise when the cash register brought the price up as $1 rather than $15! The sales assistant couldn't believe it either, so she rushed off to get a manager's ok on the price while I ran back to the shelf to collect the remaining two boxes. We met back at the counter and agreed on $1 each as the price, with the proviso that the option of returning them for my money back was off. I haven't had a chance to test them yet. Either I've paid three dollars for half a dozen jeans needles and a few bobbins or I have the biggest bargain of the year. Obviously I'm hoping for the latter. You may be wondering why I'm keen to have three extra walking feet . . . well, it means I can add them to my class set of equipment and allow my beginner quilting students to try them out before commiting to buying a walking foot of their own. Obviously I'm hesitant to do that at the regular price, but at $1 each it would be a real winner.

3 comments:

Vireya said...

Wow! That's an amazing bargain! Just the bobbins or the needles would be more than that usually. The hump-jumpers cost $11 each at Punch with Judy. So even if the feet don't fit, you got a bargain.

Chiara Z said...

I'd never heard the term, "hump jumper"--can I have a lesson?

Knitspingirl said...

What a fantastic bargain!
Pity there were only 3 ...