Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Art?

Don't worry, I'm not going to weigh in to any deep philosophical arguments. I needed a quiet day yesterday. I spent several hours in my big deep armchair with a good book. Ruth Reichl's "Garlic and Sapphires, The Secret Life of a Restaurant Critic in Disguise" was just the thing. Light, clever and insightful, it followed Ruth's progress as Restaurant Critic for the New York Times and the lengths to which she was willing to go to maintain her anonymity. Those lengths included various assumed personalities: complete with wigs, wardrobes, makeup, accents. . . the lot!

After a day reading about the best New York restaurants, I had to make a least a small effort for my evening meal.

If food is art, this is the equivalent of a rough crayon sketch on butchers' paper. Still it brightened up my eating experience and added to the nurture of a simple meal.

No comments: