Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Clay

Last time I mentioned my lump of clay homework, I'd just found my carving tools and spent several hours on the studio steps refining the shape. Here's how it looked at the end of that process. We had an impromptu mini-exhibition in class that week. We were all so excited about what we'd made that we pulled some cabinets and boxes out into the hallway to make a display. Then we stacked our pieces in the kiln room for firing. It's all a bit mysterious to this textiles woman, but last Friday I was still excited enough about my piece to visit the ceramics room again. I found that it had survived the first firing--apparently that's the test--now it's waiting for a second firing with sawdust, which will turn it black. I'll be back in the ceramics area this week, hopefully to take it home. I must remember to bring some suitable wrapping with me to keep it safe.

No comments: