Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Quilt Show

I'm off to the Quilt Show today. That's the big annual Craft and Quilt Fair. And one of my challenges will be to control my spending . . . 
Personally I would love to see more quilt shows distinct from the shopping frenzy that fills the hall of the convention centre every year. I would love a quiet space to enjoy the beauty of the textiles. I would like to be able to visit at different times without the need to pay a $16 entry fee. Unfortunately it's just not like that here. At the end of the day it all comes down to finances. Some-one is responsible for setting up this whole event and it's a package deal: money from the stall holders to display their wares; money from the craft enthusiasts to experience the event; sales for the stall holders to cover their overheads and hopefully in amongst it all promotion of the craft and its possibilities. Anyway, I'm going and I expect to see some great quilts, to be inspired and maybe to buy a little, but it doesn't stop me wishing things were different. 

No comments: